David S. Steingard, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Associate Director of the Pedro Arrupe Center for Business Ethics
- B.S. University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign '86
- M.A. University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign '88
- Ph.D. Case Western Reserve University '97
Tenure Track Appointments
- Saint Joseph’s University, Philadelphia, PA (1999-Present) — Assistant Professor
- Teaching Areas: Business Ethics, Faith-Justice/Catholic Social Teaching in Business, Socially Responsible Business, Spirituality in Business, Stakeholder Theory, Leadership, Management, Organizational Behavior, Teams, Workforce Diversity, Strategic Management, Empowering Human Potential, and Environmental Management — Undergraduate, Graduate MBA, Executive MBA, Executive Pharmaceutical Marketing MBA, Executive Pharmaceutical Marketing.
- Maharishi University of Management, Fairfield, IA (1997-1999) — Assistant Professor
- Teaching Areas: Strategic Stakeholder Management, Socially Responsible Business, Strategic Management, Organizational Change and Development, and Spirituality in Business — Undergraduate, Graduate MBA, Ph.D., Distance MBA
Other Teaching Experience
- Attended 15 Organizational Behavior Teaching Conferences (1987-2004).
- Taught in-class, distance, and individual Strategic Management courses to MBA and undergraduate students in Iowa (international students), India, Guadeloupe, and Holland, Maharishi University of Management, College of Business and Public Administration, Fairfield, Iowa, 1997-1998.
- Participated in “Envisioning and Managing Successful Academic Careers in the Realm of ONE (Organization and Environment),” a professional development seminar at the Academy of Management Annual Meeting, San Diego, Calif., August 9-12, 1998.
- Participated in "The Craft of Teaching" seminar, a professional development program at Case Western Reserve University, Fall, 1996.
- Sole responsibility for teaching an Organizational Behavior and Analysis course to Case Western Reserve University Weatherhead School of Management MBAs, Summer, 1996.
- Taught in the Technology Management Preparation Program at Case Western University's Weatherhead School of Management, Summer, 1995.
- Tutored inner-city youth in academic and life skills as part of Project Step-Up at Case Western Reserve University, 1992-1993.
- Trained Case Western Reserve University Weatherhead School of Management students on the school's computer software: network, E-mail, word processing, spreadsheets (both PC and Mac), 1991.
- Worked as a teaching assistant to an organizational analysis course for Case Western Reserve University Weatherhead School of Management MBAs and MSODs (Master's of Science in Organizational Development), 1991.
- Guest Lecturer. “Young Managers Program,” Nijenrode University, Holland, Spring, 1998.
- Periodic lectures on organizational behavior to Illinois State University undergraduates, Normal, IL, 1991-present.
- David S. Steingard, "Business Education in the Global-Ecological Age," presented at The Social Venture Network-European Founding Conference, Amsterdam, Holland, October 28th, 1993.
- Lecture on "Vision and Values in Business Organizations: Lessons from The Body Shop," University of Leuven, Belgium, June 3, 1994, to Master’s and Ph.D. students.
- Lecture and case study facilitation on "Values and Vision at The Body Shop," March 23, 1995 at The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign to 80 undergraduate business students.
Professional and Consulting Experience
- Consultant. Worked within The Body Shop International, PLC on a variety of consulting projects while conducting my Ph.D. research.
- Coordinator. Coordinated the "Cleveland Summer Academy," a holistic summer educational experience sponsored by the City of Cleveland and the Cleveland Cavaliers NBA basketball team. Coordinated 60 inner-city eight graders, 3 professional staff, and 5 program assistants throughout an innovative venture to educate students as whole persons--body, mind, and spirit. Summer, 1993.
- Consultant. With partner Gurudev Khalsa, successfully facilitated organizational change and development projects with the Northeast Ohio Jazz Society (NOJS), a non-profit arts organization dedicated to the promotion of jazz concerts and education. 1992-1994.
- Member of Consultant Team. "Romanian Conference on National Health Care Leadership." Conducted an intensive assessment of the health care system in Romania. Traveled to Romania to select and interview innovative health care officials. Invited them to Case Western where they participated in a 10 day conference designed and facilitated by our consultant team. 1991.
- Training Specialist/Culture Development Group. Provided custom training and development programs for managers, supervisors, and staff at CustomerDevelopment Corporation, a database marketing firm in Peoria, IL. Worked directly with CEO on large-scale organizational development and vision dissemination projects. 1990-1991.
- Director of Human Resources. Corporate responsibility for organizational development and change at The Gold Coast Group Hotels, a group of intimate European style hotels in Chicago, IL. Performed traditional HR functions: training, organization and job design, employee relations, recruitment and orientation, compensation and benefits administration. 1989-1990.
- Training Coordinator. Developed and lead extensive training and development programs throughout The Gold Coast Group Hotels, a group of European style hotels in Chicago, IL. My position was created to "professionally humanize" the organization by documenting and disseminating the vision of the Executive Group. 1988-1989.
Referred Journal Publications
- Steingard, D. S. (Forthcoming, 2005). "The Spiritually Whole-System Classroom: A Transformational Application of Spiritual Pedagogy." World Futures: Journal of General Evolution.
- Steingard, D. S. (Forthcoming, 2004a). "Spiritually-Informed Management Theory: Toward Profound Possibilities for Inquiry and Transformation." Journal of Management Inquiry.
- Steingard, D. S. (Forthcoming, 2004b). "'Many Paths, One Mountain' or 'Many Paths, Many Mountains?'": A Response to Delbecq, Franz, and Wong." Journal of Management Inquiry.
- Steingard, D. S., Fitzgibbons, D. E., and Heaton, D. P. (Forthcoming, 2004). "Exploring the Frontiers of Environmental Management: A Natural Law-Based Perspective." Journal of Human Values.
- Steingard, D. S. and Fitzgibbons, D. E. (Forthcoming, 2004a). "Towards a Spiritually Integral Theory of Management." Journal of Management, Spirituality & Religion.
- Pauchant, T., Bennett, J., Benefiel, M., Delbecq, A., Fitzgibbons, D., Goddard, T., McGee, J., Neal, J., Robbins, L., Steingard, D., Trott D., & Young, J. (Forthcoming, 2004b). "Integrating Spirituality at Work: An Interview with Ken Wilber." Journal of Management, Spirituality & Religion.
- Fitzgibbons, D. E., Steingard, D. S., & Whitty, M. D. (2003). "Transforming Business and Education: The Challenge to Organizations and Educators." Organization Development Journal, 21(4): 6-14.
- Steingard, D. S. and Fitzgibbons, D. E. (2001). "Vedic Education as the Fulfillment of Postmodern Education: Consciousness, Meditation, and 'Heaven on Earth,'" Comportamento Organizacional E Gestao, 7(1): 125-129. (Portuguese journal)
- Schmidt-Wilk, J., Heaton, D. P., Steingard D. S. (October, 2000). "Higher Education for Higher Consciousness: Maharishi University of Management as a Model for Spirituality in Management Education," Special Issue: Spirituality in Management Education, Journal of Management Education, 24(5): 580-612.
- Khalsa, G. S. and Steingard, D. S. (1999). "The Relational Healing Dimension of Organizational Development: Transformative Stories and Dialogue in Life-Cycle Transitions," Research in Organizational Change and Development, 12: 269-318.
- Steingard, D. S. and Fitzgibbons, D. E. (1995). "Challenging the Juggernaut of Globalization: A Manifesto for Academic Praxis," Journal of Organizational Change Management, 8(4): 30-54.
- Fitzgibbons, D. E. and Steingard, D. S. (1994). "A Postmodern Analysis of "A Course in 'Work-Force(d) Divers(Homogene)ity': Strategies and Issues," Journal of Management Education, 18(4): 441-446.
- Steingard, D. S. and Fitzgibbons, D. E. (1993a). "A Postmodern Deconstruction of Total Quality Management (TQM)," Journal of Organizational Change Management, 6(5), 27-42.
- Bailey, D., Héon, F., and Steingard, D. S., (1993b). "Postmodern International De-velopment: Intervelopment and Global Interbeing," Journal of Organizational Change Management, 6(3), 43-63.
- Holt, G. R. and Steingard, D. S. (1990). "The Merely Known Mediator: Taoism and the Metaphoric Analysis of the Mediator in Divorce and Custody Mediation," Mediation Quarterly, 7(3), 251-284.
- Steingard, D. S. (1988). "Organizational Behavior Students and their Education: What is the Role of Student Input in Organizational Behavior Education?", The Organizational Behavior Teaching Review (presently Journal of Management Education), 12(3), 1-8.
- Sherman, W. R., Steingard, D. S., & Fitzgibbons, D. E. (2003). "Sustainable Stakeholder Accounting: Beyond Complementarity and Towards Integration in Environmental Accounting." In S. Sharma, & M. Starik (Eds.), Research in Corporate Sustainability: 257-294. Northhampton, MA: Edward Elgar.
- Porth, S. J., Steingard, D. S., & McCall, J. (2003). "Spirituality and Business: The latest Management Fad or the Next Breakthrough?" In O. F. Williams (Ed.), Business, Religion, and Spirituality: A New Synthesis: 249-262. Notre Dame, Indiana: University of Notre Dame Press.
- David Boje, Dale E. Fitzgibbons, and David S. Steingard. (1996). "Storytelling at Administrative Science Quarterly: Warding off the Postmodern Barbarians." In David Boje, Robert Gephardt, and Tojo Joseph (Eds.), Postmodern Management and Organization Theory: 60-92. Newbury Park, CA: Sage Publications.
- Holt, G. R., Chang, H.-C., and Steingard, D. (1990). "Taoism and the Metaphoric Analysis of International Dispute Mediation." In F. Korzenny and S. Ting-Toomey (Eds.) Communicating for Peace: Diplomacy and Negotiation Across Cultures. Newbury Park, Calif.: Sage.
- David S. Steingard and Dale E. Fitzgibbons. (January, 2000). "Stakeholder Management: Challenging the Juggernaut of Globalization," Global Player.
David S. Steingard, ONE (Organization and Environment Academy of Management interest group) Doctoral Dissertation Award Finalist, "Values Integration in Socially Responsible Business: From Separation Thesis to Spiritual Relationality," 1998.
David S. Steingard, "Responsibility in Organizing: Values Integration in Socially Responsible Business," Andrew W. Mellon Dissertation Fellowship, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, Fall 1996.
David S. Steingard, selected by Case Western's Organizational Behavior Department as the 1996 Doctoral Consortium Representative at the Academy of Management.
David S. Steingard, "Responsibility in Organizing: Values Integration in Socially Responsible Business," two-year dissertation research grant at The Body Shop International PLC with 1 year residency in England and continued support during dissertation writing in Cleveland, 1993-1995.
David S. Steingard and Gurudev Khalsa, "Life Transitions in Arts Organizations: Relational Healing in Board and Organizational Development," sponsored by the Mandell Center for Non-Profit Organizations, Arts Management Program, Case Western Reserve University, The Cleveland Foundation, and The Gund Foundation, 1992-1993.
Received a Faculty Merit Teaching Award from Saint Joseph's University, 2001.
David S. Steingard, campus-wide "Teacher Appreciation Award," Maharishi University of Management, Fairfield, Iowa, 1997-1998.Teaching Assistant. Sole responsibility for the instruction two sections of an introductory Speech Communication course, 1986-1987. Selected as "outstanding" instructor campus wide at The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.